Since the dawn of time, moms have made it their business to remind you of the less pleasant reasons you need fiber, but what about the actual science? Fiber is the indigestible part of plant-based carbs that comes from the tough cell wall of fruits, veggies, legumes, and grains, including our favorite superfood (and first ingredient in all CAULIPOWER products) - cauliflower!
The processed foods running rampant in American diets are often stripped of fiber, leaving many people deficient. There are soluble powders, but why choke that down, when there are perfectly healthy, accessible ways to get 25g or more - the FDA's percent daily value based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Whether you're following The F-Factor Diet or just looking for small ways to improve your overall health, here are some great ideas your gut will love:
1. Sprinkle chia or flax seeds on your breakfast. While a standard in trendy smoothies and acai bowls, you can make a tasty, nutrient-rich breakfast right at home with yogurt, fruit, honey, and a sprinkle of the fiber-dense seeds. (3-5g!)
2. Use avocado or hummus as a sandwich spread. Skip the mayo and mustard - avocados and chickpeas are packed with fiber and flavor. (up to 10g!)
3. Shred veggies into pasta dishes. You don't have to noodle with zoodles to get veggies into your hearty pasta dishes. Shred carrots, zucchini, or squash right into the sauce - they'll add some earthiness, sweetness, and, you guessed it - fiber. (3-4g!)
4. Add lentils to your meatballs. They have a similar texture to ground beef, so you'll barely notice, and they pack a fibrous punch. (16g!)
5. Sub applesauce in for part of the butter in baked goods. This works great with bright, sweet flavors, and will keep your baked goods extra moist - bonus! In more savory baked goods, you can sub in grated veggies or opt for a flour alternative, like CAULI-FLOUR by CAULIPOWER aka THE MAKE WHATEVER YOU WANT MIX, which adds the fiber of real cauliflower in recipes like these. A little fiber boost is unexpected in your baked goods, but tastes oh so right.
Just one day, and you've managed to squeeze in up to 40g of fiber without changing much of anything about your favorite meals. We believe, with every fiber of our being (sorry), that nutrition doesn't have to be scary, elusive, or even time-consuming, and fiber's a great place to start! CAULIPOWER is a good (and easy-to-make) source of fiber to have on hand, too: